WHY CHOOSE SEDATION DENTISTRY?
The most common reason patients opt for sedation is because they have a fear of the dentist or a dental phobia. At Atlanta Dental Club, we understand that the dentist’s chair isn’t always the most comfortable place to be, and we’re aware of the vulnerability some patients may feel when receiving treatment.
That’s why we offer a few forms of sedation and therapy to relieve dental anxiety, including:
- Oral Sedatives
- Minimally-Inhaled Sedation (Laughing Gas)
- General Anesthesia
OTHER COMMON USES FOR SEDATION DENTISTRY
Patients who need multiple or complex treatments in a single visit will do better with some form of sedation. That’s because doing more than one treatment at a time, or the precision required for complex treatment requires more time. The longer you’re in the dental chair, the more restless you’ll become. Sedation helps ease your body and mind, allowing our team to focus on your oral care while you stay comfortable.
Younger children also benefit from inhaled oral sedation. This sedation option keeps them calm and comfortable during treatment, reducing anxiousness and fidgeting. It can be administered via nose mask right before treatment starts and wears off quickly once the mask is removed, so it’s ideal for children who need to get back to school or activities after their doctor’s appointments.
COULD I BENEFIT FROM SEDATION DENTISTRY?
Many patients wonder if sedation dentistry is right for them. So we’ve curated a list of questions to ask yourself when considering sedation options from your dentist:
- Do I feel anxious about going to the dentist?
- Do I need complex dental treatment?
- Do I fidget at times when I need to sit still?
- Is it uncomfortable to keep my mouth open for long periods of time?
- Do I have trouble relaxing in doctor’s offices?
- Do I fear the dentist or have a dental phobia?
- Do I find receiving treatment to be generally uncomfortable?
- Am I in pain?